Thursday, December 18, 2008


i have a thing for eyes. when i get the itch to draw they're usually what ends up coming out of the tip of my pencil.
the thing is, i usually only draw one eye, or one side of the face.
im not sure if its just a mental thing, or if when i do draw both eyes/both sides of the face they end up coming short of the expectations i have for myself.
so, after a while i just kind of came to the conclusion that im just not cut out to draw a complete face.
until tonight.
usually i have to be in the right mood to draw, or else everything that comes out onto the paper just doesn't seem right at all. tonight was one of those nights where i just felt like i had to draw something, get it out of me.
so i sat down and grabbed the rolling stone from the coffee table and started drawing the front cover, who just happened to be brad pitt.
his first eye came out so great i figured, hey why not just keep going, try drawing the nose.
it didn't turn out too bad so i thought to myself..hmm do i just leave it like this? one eye and a nose, like so many other sketches ive done? or do i dare attempt the other eye...
so i went for it. as i started out i was thinking i made a mistake and ruined a perfectly good looking half done brad pitt. but then as i put more detail in, shaded a little here and there i was completely surprised to find that i had just completed a set of eyes and a nose that look like they all belonged to the same face!
here is the sketch..im not sure if i dare push my luck any further by finishing it..

1 comment:

SirRichardKay said...

I am just like this. I will fill up pages with eyes and half faces, but very rarely will I actually finish a face. I also grab magazines and draw pictures of the people in them. I also use DVD covers, book covers, posters and any other still pictures that I think look pretty.